The IPL Auction
The IPL Auction is an annual excitement that is a staple in the calendar of many a cricket fan. As the most lucrative domestic cricket tournament, the Indian Premier League attracts some of the top-quality players from across the world. Bidding can be fierce, and this really is a who’s who of the top talent in the sport.
The 2020 auction is no exception, and some seriously impressive sums were exchanged during the process. The IPL has long been a fantastic opportunity for young players to prove their worth and make waves on the world stage, and being a part of this amazing competition can be a career-maker.
Pat Cummins is the leading name echoing in the sport at the moment, has become the most expensive overseas player in IPL history, with the Kolkata Knight Riders pinning the Aussie player down for an incredible 15.5 crore. Glen Maxwell and Chris Morris also enjoyed tremendous success, with signings to the Kings XI Punjab for 10.75 crores (Maxwell) and Royal Challengers Bangalore for ten crores (Morris). The top three prices appeared more than justified, given the success of these major names in cricket thus far, but were just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to record prices and fantastic deals with players.
The Top Ten Players for 2020 were:
1. Pat Cummins – Kolkata Knight Riders for 15.5 crore
2. Glen Maxwell – Kings XI Punjab for 10.75 crore
3. Chris Morris – Royal Challengers Bangalore for 10 crore
4. Sheldon Cottrell – Kings XI Punjab for 8.5 crore
5. Nathan Coulter-Nile – Mumbai Indians for 8 crore
6. Shimron Hetmyer – Delhi Capitals for 7.75 crore
7. Piyush Chawla – Chennai Super Kings for 6.75 crore
8. Sam Curran – Chennai Super Kings for 5.5 crore
9. Eoin Morgan – Kolkata Knight Riders for 5.25 crore
10. Varun Chakravarthy – Kolkata Knight Riders for 4.0 crore
It goes without saying that these names will be serious ones to watch, and their inclusion in the tournament is likely to skyrocket their careers – especially considering the eye-watering sums of money which are being exchanged for those in the top ten.
IPL Auction – What They Said
● Cummins looks excited to be tackling the competition, tweeting that he “Can’t wait,’ following a welcome message from Brendon McCullum on the Kolkata Knight Riders site and stating that “I am very happy to be back in KKR.”
● “I am looking forward to playing for Kings XI,” stated Cottrell in promotional material released by the IPL.
● Returning to the international stage following a break for personal reasons, Maxwell is quoted as saying, “I was pretty cooked when I decided to take the time off. Big reason why I
did take that time away is I was pretty mentally and physically ruined.” Fans will be excited to see him back in action and at full strength!
IPL Auction – The Game Changer
All of the players included in the top ten are likely to have a significant impact on the overall matches, but Pat Cummins is expected to take the spotlight. His 15.5 crore purchase price has smashed records, and there will be good reasons behind this; the Kolkata Knight Riders see a lot of potential.
He is now the most expensive foreign player to have completed the process, and this is a reputation that is likely to help propel his career, adding serious star power to an already promising player.
Cummins already holds status as the No.1 ranked bowler in ICC Test rankings, as well as collecting 92 wickets in 77 career T20 matches. These achievements are likely to have gone a long way in helping him to secure his record-breaking deal. Cummins last played in the IPL in 2017, starring alongside the Delhi Capitals, and has previously represented Kolkata Knight Riders in 2015.
Major names in the game have already justified the high price tag paid for Cummins, with assistant coach Abhishek Nayer stating that “A player of his [Cummins] calibre, he brings a lot with the ball and the bat as well.” There is no denying he has a lot to prove but is sure to put on a stellar game.
Morgan is another name gaining a lot of attention and was signed to the Kolkata Knight Riders for an impressive 5.25 crore. Nayer has stated that “Morgan’s recent form has been tremendous. As a leadership group, Morgan will add a lot of strength to what we already have.” As a World Cup winner for England, Morgan has already proven he has what it takes to make a difference in a match that matters, and there is no denying that he is more than worth his high price tag.